Every year we notice increase in the energy storage demand, which is driven by new technologies, frequent natural disasters and escalating distribution and energy charges.
Back in 2004 we allocated a budget and time for testing different battery technologies in the cold Canadian climate. We found a lithium ion battery that performed exceptionally well in the cold and in the normal operating conditions. The economics of li-ion batteries are on par with flooded lead-acid, when taking into account the longevity of lithium ion, no maintenance and no need to build a vented battery box.
Multiple battery technologies are available today. For some energy storage application lead-acid flooded batteries are still the best technology, for some it is lead carbon and for many applications it is li-ion.
Dandelion Renewables is capable of designing and installing energy storage systems for many applications in Alberta, Saskatchewan and British Columbia, including:
- Off-grid renewable systems;
- Price arbitrage for grid-connected systems;
- Demand charge management;
- Back-up for power outages;
- Voltage support and protection from power quality degradation;
- Transmission or distribution upgrade deferral;
- Renewable energy capacity firming.